Can you believe Thanksgiving is only three days away? I’m rushing to put the finishing touches on an extra special Thanksgiving post for you all filled with lots of gluten-free ideas for your Thanksgiving feast.
But first I have to share this recipe because it’s amazing and you’re going to love it. It was the perfect dish for a very busy evening the other day when I was knee-deep in holiday preparations and needed to serve up something quick, easy, and delicious. Seriously, this elegant dish really only takes fifteen minutes to prepare and ten minutes in the oven.
It’s inspired by one of my favorite recipes, Eggplant Rollatini, but I decided to put a new twist on it with chicken. My daughter, Nicole, is studying Italian and informed me that in Italy it would be called “Involtini di Pollo.” Yum, sounds so very sophisticated.
My Involtini di Pollo (or Chicken Rollatini, as I called them) are made with beautifully thin chicken scallopini, lightly seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I carefully rolled up each piece of chicken with a slice of Swiss Cheese in the center. Then, I arranged three small bowls on the counter. In the first, I mixed half a cup of gluten-free flour with paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. In the second, gluten-free breadcrumbs with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Yes, garlic powder might be a secret ingredient here. 😉 And, finally, in the last bowl, I whisked an egg together with one tablespoon of milk.
Now we’re coming to the fun part. Each little chicken roll gets dredged first in the flour, then in the egg and milk, and lastly in the breadcrumbs. Next, I cooked the rolls in a skillet for three minutes on each side with a little butter and oil until they were golden. I then popped them in the oven where they baked for ten minutes.
And they’re ready to devour! Ecco gli Involtini di Pollo!
Nicole covered the rolls in marinara sauce and gently sprinkled them with Parmesan cheese and parsley. She exclaimed, “Sono buonissimi!”
I love when cooking turns into an impromptu foreign language lesson. 😉 And I also love how the beautiful red marinara sauce and the green parsley give this dish a dash of Christmas colors, making it perfect for a quick and festive holiday dinner.
- 1 pound chicken scallopini
- garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, cut into strips
- ½ cup Bob’s Red Mill GF All Purpose Baking Flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ cup Kinniikinnick gluten free Panco bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- marinara sauce, homemade or jar
- parsley, chopped
- parmesan cheese, grated
- Pre heat oven to 350℉.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Lay a strip of cheese in the center of each piece of chicken. Tuck the sides of the chicken in and roll up the lengthwise, jellyroll style. You may want to secure with a wooden toothpick.
- Combine the flour with 1 teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon of salt, ½ tsp. garlic powder and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a shallow bowl. Next combine breadcrumbs with ½ teaspoon of salt, ½ teaspoon garlic powder and ¼ teaspoon pepper in another shallow bowl. Finally beat the egg with milk in a third bowl.
- Dredge each chicken roll in the flour, then in the egg mixture and finally in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large ovenproof skillet over a medium-high heat. Cook the chicken rolls about 3 minutes on each side until golden.
- Then place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Top with marinara sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and parsley.
I am extremely blessed by your participation and promotion of joyful gluten free living. Click Like on the sidebar to join my Facebook fan page.
My Gluten Free Recipe Book App showcases all of the recipes available on our website so you can easily access the recipes when picking up ingredients at the grocery store. Click the download button on the sidebar.
- Quick Pan Seared Pork Chops + ButcherBox Review - April 10, 2017
- 6 Gluten Free Game Day Recipes for March Madness - March 29, 2017
- Sunchokes Are the Healthy Vegetable You’re Probably Not Eating - March 23, 2017
- Skinny Low Carb Taco Bowls - March 5, 2017
- Baby Bok Choy With Sweet and Tangy Sauce - February 18, 2017