Friday night is burger night here at our house. Last week I decided to add a creative twist to this old favorite by adding special toppings. One of my sons, who was visiting for the weekend, tasted this burger and exclaimed, “Wow, Mom what did you do to this burger? Seriously, it’s one of the best burgers I’ve ever had.” That was quite a compliment since he lives in the big city and has frequented some of the best burger places in the world. My husband also couldn’t stop praising my new creation, a juicy bacon cheeseburger decked with sweet caramelized onions and peppers on a delicious gluten-free Canyon Bakehouse bun.
I have been making burgers for our family ever since our children were little. However, when my husband and two of my sons found out they had gluten sensitivity thirteen years ago, we could no longer enjoy the burgers with hamburger buns. They still remained one of our weekly dinners, but without a bun, they were not the same. After a long search, we finally discovered fluffy, gluten free Canyon Bakehouse buns sprinkled with sesame seeds. Excellent.
Now, topped with bacon and caramelized onions and peppers, our Friday night cheeseburgers have truly become extraordinary. Even better, I have begun serving grass-fed burgers, which are not only delicious but also have many health benefits that you can read about here.
Bacon Cheeseburger with Caramelized Onions and Peppers on a Gluten Free Bun:
First, cook the bacon and set aside.
Season burgers with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Grill or broil burgers, about 4 minutes on each side. Top with cheese and cook for about 1 more minute.
Meanwhile, heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring every few minutes, until onions are caramelized and peppers are slightly browned, about 10 minutes.
Lightly toast the Canyon Bakehouse buns.
Place lettuce on each bun, drizzle with ketchup, top with a cheeseburger, the caramelized onions and peppers, and finally bacon!
Want to save this recipe? Pin it!
- 4 grass fed burgers
- 1 organic sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 organic bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- 4 gluten free Canyon Bakehouse hamburger buns
- 4 slices organic swiss cheese
- 8 slices no nitrate bacon (We like Oscar Mayer Selects)
- 4 leaves organic romaine lettuce
- Cook the bacon and set aside.
- Season burgers with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Grill or broil burgers, about 4 minutes on each side. Top with cheese and cook for about 1 more minute.
- Meanwhile, heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring every few
minutes,until onions are caramelized and peppers are slightly browned,about 10 minutes.
- Lightly toast the buns and place lettuce on each, drizzle with ketchup, top with
cheeseburger, caramelized onions and peppers and finally bacon!
- Quick Pan Seared Pork Chops + ButcherBox Review - April 10, 2017
- 6 Gluten Free Game Day Recipes for March Madness - March 29, 2017
- Sunchokes Are the Healthy Vegetable You’re Probably Not Eating - March 23, 2017
- Skinny Low Carb Taco Bowls - March 5, 2017
- Baby Bok Choy With Sweet and Tangy Sauce - February 18, 2017