Have you ever had Irish nachos? I never had until this summer when my family vacationed in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania and dined at the Garryowen Irish Pub. This appetizer was absolutely delicious: crispy, seasoned potato slices drowned in cheddar cheese, bacon, green onions and cilantro. When I saw the dish was gluten free, I knew I had to try to recreate it when we returned home and share it here on the blog.
My family loves studying Civil War history so we’ve been to Gettysburg many times, but this was our first time eating at Garryowen. The friendly service, tasty Irish fare, and accommodation to our gluten free needs had us visiting the restaurant twice before the weekend was over. We definitely recommend it if you’re ever passing through Gettysburg. And, of course, you can bring a taste of Ireland into your home today with these mouthwatering nachos.
- 1½ pounds russet potatoes, wash with a vegetable brush, sliced ⅛ inch thick
tablespoonsextra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup Nacho & Taco cheese blend
- 1 package Applegate Sunday bacon, cooked and cut up into pieces
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 4 ounces organic sour cream
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ cup jalapeño peppers, sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450℉
- Toss potatoes with olive oil. Bake potato slices on a baking sheet for about 15 minutes, turn over and bake another 15 - 20 minutes until golden and slightly crisp.
- Next, overlap the potatoes in a cast-iron skillet that can be baked in the oven. Season potatoes with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon. Bake for 5 minutes to melt cheese. Then sprinkle with scallions and cilantro.
- In a separate dish, stir diced tomatoes (and jalapeño peppers if you like it hot) into the sour cream. Serve on the side as a dip.
- How to make Mini Spinach Pies With Cauliflower Crusts - August 11, 2017
- One-Pan Chicken And Peppers - August 7, 2017
- Super Low Carb Cottage Pie With Cauliflower Mash - July 29, 2017
- 6 Low-Carb Lunches You Can Bring To Work - June 23, 2017
- 9 Whole 30 Recipes That Aren’t Chicken Or Fish - June 10, 2017