This recipe is a one-pan meal, which makes dinner super easy. I’ve prepared a free eBook of one-pan meals for you, so be sure to check out how to get your copy below!
This quick and easy ragoût is one of my favorite go-to meals on busy days. I usually workout at 5:00 in the evening. After an intense workout, the last thing I feel like doing is spending a lot of time cooking dinner. So on workout days, I either prepare dinner in the morning and set it in the slow cooker or I turn to one of my recipes that come together fast, like this incredibly tasty ragoût.
Not only is it fast to make, it’s a wonderfully hearty meal too: ground beef cooked until tender with juicy Roma tomatoes and pearl onions in a flavorful gravy. I serve it on a bed of sweet spaghetti squash for an extra layer of flavor and a healthy, paleo-friendly twist.
When you have afternoon plans that run late and don’t leave you much time to cook, this beef ragoût with tomatoes and pearl onions is one of those delicious, effortless meals that you can turn to in a pinch. And it’s made in just one pan so clean up is easy, too.
A ragoût is a french style stew that is usually cooked slowly over a low flame. My version, however, will only take you 30 minutes to make. And it’s not only fast but inexpensive because it’s made with ground beef. I was even able to find grass-fed ground beef on sale when I made it this week so I’m doing my happy dance. And, boy, is it tasty! Each mouthful explodes with flavor thanks to the pearl onions and tomatoes.
Here’s how easy this ragoût is to make.
First, heat the oil in a skillet and brown the beef while breaking it up with a spatula into large chunks (the size of beef stew chunks). This will take about 5 minutes.
Next, add Red Boat sauce. Red Boat is gluten-free and is produced in a gluten free facility. The ingredients are quite simple: just anchovy and sea salt. Season this beef mixture with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and the sliced white bulb of the scallions (keep the green leaf part of the scallions as we’ll use it as a garnish later).
Cook the beef for 2 more minutes. Transfer to a dish and set aside.
Now add your pearl onions to the same pan and cook them for about 2 minutes. Then add your tomato chunks and tomato paste and cook for 3 more minutes. Finally, add your chicken stock and season with salt and pepper. Let that cook for 3 more minutes while the layers of flavor blend into a tomatoey sauce.
Turn off your flame and stir your beef mixture back into the pan. Then, stir in the sliced green leaf part of the scallions, and your scrumptious beef ragoût is done.
When I have a little bit of extra time, I love serving the ragoût over spaghetti squash. Have you ever tried spaghetti squash? It gets its name because after it’s cooked, the inside turns into beautiful, pasta-like strands. It’s a lovely gluten-free pasta substitute. If you close your eyes, you’ll think you’re eating your ragoût over angel hair pasta.
Watch this video to see how to cut and prepare spaghetti squash.
What a delicious, healthy meal for a crisp autumn weeknight! Enjoy, friends!
If you enjoy this recipe, you might also enjoy my ebook One-Pan Meals that has many more easy and delicious recipes for you to try using just one pan so you won’t have to spend hours cleaning dishes.
Love this recipe? Pin it!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Red Boat
- ¾ teaspoon of salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 scallions, sliced (separate the white root slices from the sliced green leaves)
- ½ cup pearl onions
- 5 Roma tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock, homemade or store bought
- Heat oil in a skillet and brown the beef breaking it up with a spatula into large chunks (the size of beef stew chunks) This will take about 5 minutes.
- Add Red Boat, ½ teaspoon of salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and the sliced white bulb of the scallions. (we'll garnish with the green leaf part of the scallions later) Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Transfer to a dish and set aside.
- Now add your pearl onions to the same pan and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add tomato chunks and tomato paste and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Then add chicken stock, ½ teaspoon of salt, ½ teaspoon of pepper. and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Turn off your flame and stir your beef mixture in. Toss with the sliced green leaf part of the scallions and serve.
- Steak Roll-Ups Recipe + Xtrema Ceramic Cookware Review - January 4, 2018
- Creamy Cauliflower Mash - December 5, 2017
- Gift Picks For Your Favorite Health Nut - December 2, 2017
- 12 Nutritious Soups and Side Dishes To Grace Your Holiday Table - November 15, 2017
- One-Pan Chicken Alfredo - November 4, 2017