My oldest son was visiting this past weekend and some time around 5:00, he asked, “Mom, just curious, what are we having for dinner?“
“Some kind of chicken,” I replied as I wasn’t sure yet what I was going to make.
“Chicken again? The problem with chicken is it tastes like…everything!” He was making a joke referring to one of his favorite Matrix movies. If you aren’t familiar with the scene, you can click here to watch it: Tasty Wheat Tastes Like Tuna or Chicken. 🙂
I decided it would be fun to surprise my family with a completely new chicken recipe. Surfing the internet for ideas, I found a recipe for crispy chicken bites on paleoleap.com. Eureka! This was just the type of fun, crunchy food I was looking for to treat our taste buds! Paleo recipes work for us gluten free folks because they do not use grains. I tweaked the recipe just a bit, adding a little garlic and spices for extra flavor.
Second, the chicken is fried in coconut oil which make this a healthy alternative to deep fried nuggets. Compared to olive oil, coconut oil heats at a lower temperature. This means that it does not oxidize and form harmful free radicals which happens when frying with olive oil. Read more about why coconut oil is a healthy cooking oil here.
These grainless chicken nuggets were ready in half an hour and got two thumbs up from my discriminating taste testers! I made three pounds of chicken, and they were devoured in no time.
My son had to agree that chicken can sometimes be quite tasty.
To make the chicken nuggets, make a batter with eggs and tapioca starch, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet. You will know that it is hot when you see small ripples form. Set up a plate with paper towels while you’re waiting for the oil to heat up. Pan-fry the chicken in batches for 5 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Finally, transfer the chicken to a broiler pan and broil for 3-4 minutes on each side until crispy.
How simple is that? You can season your batter with ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper if you like hot and spicy.
Love this recipe? Pin it!
- 1 lb. skinless and boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika (or cayenne pepper if you like heat)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine eggs, tapioca starch,, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Place chicken in the batter and coat well.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet.
- Carefully place the chicken pieces in batches into the hot skillet, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
- Transfer to broiler pan and broil for 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.
- Creamy Cauliflower Mash - December 5, 2017
- Gift Picks For Your Favorite Health Nut - December 2, 2017
- 12 Nutritious Soups and Side Dishes To Grace Your Holiday Table - November 15, 2017
- One-Pan Chicken Alfredo - November 4, 2017
- 7 Easy Slow Cooker Recipes That Are Incredibly Flavorful - October 1, 2017