Sometimes the best recipes are the simplest ones. The ones that require only a handful of fresh ingredients to make a dish that is elegant and tasty and, yet, so effortless to prepare. I’ve added bacon to many of my vegetable dishes, but I think with asparagus I have finally found the perfect match. Seriously, I am in love with this recipe and couldn’t wait to share it with you all.
Bundles of asparagus are brushed with a mixture of coconut oil, avocado oil, and garlic, wrapped in strips of bacon, and then roasted in the oven until crispy on the outside and deliciously succulent on the inside.
Take that first bite, and you are rewarded with the most wonderful combination of flavors. The crunchiness of the bacon beautifully compliments the oh-so tender, juicy spears of asparagus. And I can’t get over what a beautiful presentation these make: it’s a go-to dish for a quick and easy appetizer at your next party. Or you can just serve them as a side dish at dinner and watch your kids gobble up their vegetables in minutes. This is definitely a most nutritious vegetable to add to the menu. Not only is asparagus filled with antioxidants, it is also an excellent source of fiber, folate, and vitamins A, C, E and K.
To make the bacon wrapped asparagus, I lined my baking sheet with parchment paper (it catches the drippings from the bacon for easy clean up) and fit my wire rack right inside it. Having a dedicated gluten-free baking sheet and wire rack set comes in handy if you share your oven with family members who are not gluten free.
First, divide the asparagus spears into bundles of about four or five, depending on how thick you want your bundles to be. Then, brush each bundle with the garlic, coconut oil, and avocado oil mixture. Wrap with two slice of bacon and place the bundles on the rack.
Brush each bundle again with the oils and garlic mixture and bake for thirty-five to forty minutes, until the bacon is crisp. Remove to a plate and they’re ready to be eaten!
This is such a healthy treat whether you’re paleo, gluten free, an asparagus fan, a bacon fan, or just looking for a new addition to your collection of vegetable recipes (especially if you’re trying to get your kids to eat more veggies). 🙂 Enjoy, friends!
- Preheat oven to 400℉ Mix garlic, coconut oil, and avocado oil together in a small bowl.
- Place a rack on top of a baking sheet lined with parchment paper to catch the bacon dripping. Brush asparagus with oil mixture. Divide the asparagus spears into bundles contain 4 or 5 asparagus spears. Wrap each bundle with two slices of bacon. Place the bundles on the rack. Brush each bundle again with the oil mixture. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the bacon is crisp.
- 12 Nutritious Soups and Side Dishes To Grace Your Holiday Table - November 15, 2017
- One-Pan Chicken Alfredo - November 4, 2017
- 7 Easy Slow Cooker Recipes That Are Incredibly Flavorful - October 1, 2017
- Recipe Book App Updates! - August 22, 2017
- How to make Mini Spinach Pies With Cauliflower Crusts - August 11, 2017