I just love serving a special dish for breakfast on Christmas morning, and this hearty sausage and potato breakfast casserole is sure to be enjoyed by my whole family. All of my kids will be home for the holidays, and my family will wake up early Christmas morning to open the presents under the tree. Then we’ll crowd into the dining room around the worn pine table where we’ve enjoyed so many holiday meals together.
A casserole would be the perfect choice for this year’s breakfast, but I wanted to come up with a completely new casserole recipe: one that would be quick and easy to prepare and, of course, delicious. I don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen on Christmas morning, missing the gift giving and laughter. Instead, I opt for something that I can quickly whip together and that will bake while we open our gifts. My kids actually tasted this casserole several times as I perfected the recipe. John jokes that the kitchen is my laboratory because I love inventing new recipes and experimenting with twists to old favorites.
My final creation is a lovely casserole filled with fresh organic eggs, shredded potatoes, Gruyère cheese, delicious gluten-free Jones sausage, and baby spinach. I’ve seasoned it with a blend of my favorite spices: oregano, marjoram, rosemary, and basil. Gluten free Panko breadcrumbs make a beautiful, crunchy topping. The casserole takes only 15 to 20 minutes to prepare and then bakes for almost an hour in the oven.
First, I add a little water to a skillet and cook the sausage, crumbling with a spatula while it sautés. The first time my kids tried the casserole, they had only one request: more sausage, so I’ll be using two packages of sausages on Christmas morning. It’s up to you. Does your family love sausage? Go ahead and add two packages as well. Jones sausage is certified gluten free, delicious and safe for everyone.
After the sausage is cooked, I whisk together in a bowl fresh organic eggs, a little milk, and the spices. Then I add the cooked sausage and the shredded organic russet potatoes and Gruyère cheese (you can substitute cheddar, but Gruyère is not as sharp). Finally, I fold in the raw organic baby spinach, and then pour it all into a casserole dish. I sprinkle with breadcrumbs that I’ve cooked in a little butter, and then pop it into the oven where it bakes for a little less than an hour. Warm and golden brown and ready to serve.
I hope you all have a wonderful holiday, spending time with loved ones and creating many happy memories that you will treasure for years to come. Merry Christmas, everyone!
Want to save this recipe? Pin it!
- 1 12 ounces Jones uncooked bewakfast sausage roll (my family likes double the sausage so I make 2 packages)
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup gluten free Panko breadcrumbs
- 1½ pounds russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 8 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350℉
- Add a little water to a skillet and cook sausage crumbling up the sausage with a spatula while it sautés, about 8 - 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, and spices in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the shredded potatoes, shredded cheese, and cooked sausage. Stir. Then fold in the spinach. Mix until combined. Transfer to casserole dish. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the skillet and then mix in 1 cup panko bread crumbs until the butter is thoroughly absorbed. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the casserole. Dot the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, cut into small pieces. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 20- 25 minutes until golden brown on top. Let stand for 10 minutes to allow moisture to be absorbed. Cut into slices and serve.
- Creamy Cauliflower Mash - December 5, 2017
- Gift Picks For Your Favorite Health Nut - December 2, 2017
- 12 Nutritious Soups and Side Dishes To Grace Your Holiday Table - November 15, 2017
- One-Pan Chicken Alfredo - November 4, 2017
- 7 Easy Slow Cooker Recipes That Are Incredibly Flavorful - October 1, 2017